Financial Runes – Stones 1, 2 & 3
This is an in depth look at the first 3 stones in the New Year. New You. New Finances ~ “Your 2021 Financial Forecast” blog post.
Let’s recap the first 3 stones that were cast for our 2021 financial forecast.
- Hagalaz (Anger)
There is a need to break from constricting circumstances. There are some things beyond your control. You may feel as though you are waking from a long sleep and take some time to come to your full senses. There may be a loss before there is a gain.
- Odin (the Divine) – a blank stone
The unknowable and the unseen is active in your life at tis time. In the beginning there was nothing, and in the end, nothing remains. Control cannot be used on that which does not yet exist. You may have to leap over the precipice into the void. But do so empty-handed and with utter faith. What beckons is the creative power of the unknown.
- Uruz (Gratitude)
The life you have been living is at an end. However, this is not a Rune of ending., it is instead a Rune of new beginnings. There may be darkness of a tunnel leading to the new life, but the light will be brighter at the end. Prepare for the opportunity disguised as a loss.
And the Summary:
If you find yourself frustrated, ager or upset over your finances, this is a time to let go step into a new space. A space of not knowing. There is a freedom that happens when you surrender to the unknown. New ideas emerge. New thoughts pop in. New resources come your way. Admit that you are lost when it comes to your finances and simply let go of trying to control the situation and ask for some guidance. It may feel like you are giving up but you are simply stopping the pattern of a habit that is no longer serving you and stepping into a new pattern. One that will support you
Ok, now that we have the recap, let’s go deeper into each of these messages….
It’s easy to be angry about the state of your finances. But anger can be debilitating. It freezes you. It doesn’t leave room to move forward. Unless, of course, you get mad enough to take action.
What’s the opposite of Anger?
Start by accepting that you are where you are financially. Simply look at your situation. Acknowledge it. Without judgement, without blame. Just view it. Once you have an understanding of where you are financially, you can begin to take the steps necessary to turn things around.
The following are some action steps you can take to begin that movement:
- Look at your bank and credit card statements. Just look at them. That’s all. Review them line by line and see where your money is going. What do you see? What stands out? What causes you concern? If you want to go a bit deeper, take out a highlighter and highlight areas that you want to look into.
- Is there a charge that you don’t recognize?
- Is there a company listed and you have no idea who it is?
- What transactions do you see the most? Groceries? Gas? Coffee?
- Start paying attention to your cash spending habits. If you don’t carry cash now, try it. Take $40 out and put it in your wallet. Notice if you spend it more easily than debit or if you hold onto it for dear life. Get receipts for any cash purchases and review those at the end of the day, week or month (monthly will be more of an impact).
- Take an inventory of your automatic payments, online (or in store) bill payments and cash (debit) spending needs
- Pay attention to the unexpected (or expected) expenses that mess up your plans and cause you grief. Make a list of them.
- Car repairs
- Home expenses
In summary, just pay more attention to where your cash is flowing to.
This is where you let go of your view of what your finances should look like. And what your life should look like.
- Should you have a better house?
- Better car?
- Travel more?
- Less debt?
- Do more for your kids? Less for your kids?
- Do you feel like there is a better career path for you?
Take a deep breath. And listen very carefully to my next 10 words.
What if ….you are exactly where you need to be … at this time?
Let go of all thoughts of where you are supposed to be and what you are supposed to be doing and what you are supposed to have and simply accept that you are where you are.
Now. Let view things from that space.
What’s next? Leave the judgement behind and look at the practical steps you can take to start to shift things.
- Do you need to pay off debt?
- Dust off your resume?
- Save money?
- Cut back on non-essentials?
Make a list of 7 things you can do today to shift your finances. And forget about how they are supposed to be done, why they can’t be done, who else might be responsible for doing them or if they seem impossible. Let that go too.
Just make the list. Look at it. And allow the solutions to show up for you. That’s it. No action on them. Not yet. Just set that list aside and see what shows up.
I know that what I am suggesting goes against the grain. Nowhere did I say, make a budget, follow it, review it, revise it, pay yourself first, limit your credit use. (Don’t’ worry, I will cover ALL of that in future shows), but for this week, I simply want you to notice where you are.
And notice how, when you notice where you are, that you step into a void.
The old way of doing things is moving behind you. The new way of doing things is opening up in front of you. You are, essentially, stepping into the void of the unknown. And that’s ok. There is a lot of opportunity there.
This stone is also about noticing what is right in your world. We completely take advantage of all that we have:
- Food in the fridge
- Running water
- Love from family/friends
- A heartbeat
- The unconditional love of your furry companion
- A warm blanket
- Fresh air and sunshine
- Woods to walk in
- The ocean to swim in
- The sand to walk in
We really are wealthy in so many ways. Again, simply notice, every day, at least one thing that you are grateful for. If you want to start a list, by all means do so.
I gave you lots of things to put on your radar. So, that’s your homework. Simply notice. And, if you feel up to it, please report back to me on what you noticed. Leave a comment here, post it on my facebook page or email me at email@example.com
Next week we are going to tackle the next three stones – Prayer, Trust & Courage.
Until then…wishing you all happy, healthy finances!
aka Dr Debt
(Licensed Insolvency Trustee, Allan Marshall & Associates Inc.)